At the Afsluitdijk a possible wind turbine project is planned. The Afsluitdijk is a 32 km long barrier dam that blocks the IJsselmeer from the North Sea. It connects the provinces of North Holland and Friesland. The wind turbines will be placed in the sea, in de vicinity of the dam.
These wind turbine constructions may disturb the natural water movement and morphology. Svašek Hydraulics has executed the morphological part of the Environmental Impact Study.
For the morphological part of the Environmental Impact Study various wind turbine lay-out designs were examined for the following aspects:
- disturbance of natural water movement;
- disturbance of natural morphology;
- safety of the Afsluitdijk;
- nuisance and distance to waterways and fishery;
- location of cable connections on the seabed.