TUDFlow3d is a fully 3 dimensional CFD (computational fluid dynamics) solver which can simulate turbulent flows on engineering scale. The Large Eddy Simulation approach is used to capture the influence of turbulence; hence the most important larger scale eddies are resolved instead of modelled like in RANS. Density currents can be solved, for example warm/cold water outlets, salinity flows, sediment transport.
TUDFlow3d is based on a numerical code from the TU Delft and further developed to be applicable for engineering scale at Svašek Hydraulics. It uses a fast solver on structured grids and runs parallel through MPI. Typical run times are in the order of 1 day for very detailed 1-50 million grid cell simulations.
For details on TUDflow3d see (2015) De Wit, L. 3D CFD modelling of overflow dredging plumes. Ph.D. Thesis, Delft University of Technology, Delft.
TUDFlow3d has been applied successfully for:
- Release of sediment plumes from a moving dredging vessel including interaction with the propellers and seabed;
- Turbulent channel flow;
- Turbulent flow past objects;
- Stratified turbulent flow;
- Density driven flow;
- Transport of suspended load for cohesive and non cohesive sediment, turbidity flows;
- Transport of tracer.
Some example publications with TUDflow3d are:
- Radermacher, M., De Wit, L., Winterwerp, J.C. and Uijttewaal, W.S.J., 2016, Efficiency of hanging silt screens in crossflow. Journal of Waterway, Port, Coastal and Ocean Engineering, 142 (1).
- De Wit, L., 2015, 3D CFD modelling of overflow dredging plumes. Ph.D. Thesis, Delft University of Technology, Delft.
- De Wit, L., Talmon, A.M. and Van Rhee, C., 2015, Influence of important near field processes on the source term of suspended sediments from a dredging plume caused by a Trailing Suction Hopper Dredger: the effect of dredging speed, propeller, overflow location and pulsing. Environmental Fluid Mechanics.
- De Wit, L. and Van Rhee, C., 2014, Testing an Improved Artificial Viscosity Advection Scheme to Minimise Wiggles in Large Eddy Simulation of Buoyant Jet in Crossflow. Flow, Turbulence and Combustion, 92 (3).
- De Wit, L., Keetels, G. and Van Rhee, C., 2014, Turbulent interaction of a buoyant jet with crossflow. Journal of Hydraulic Engineering.
- De Wit, L., Talmon, A.M. and Van Rhee, C., 2014, 3D CFD simulations of trailing suction hopper dredger plume mixing: comparison with field measurements. Marine Pollution Bulletin.
- De Wit, L., Talmon, A.M. and Van Rhee, C., 2014, 3D CFD simulations of trailing suction hopper dredger plume mixing: a parameter study of near field conditions influencing the suspended sediment source flux. Marine Pollution Bulletin.
- Svašek Hydraulics
- TU Delft
- 3D turbulent flow
- sediment transport
- density currents (warm/cold, salinity, sediment)
- large Eddy Simulation